In 1925, Nebraska Rep. J. Lloyd McMaster of Lancaster County introduced House Roll 62, which designated an official flag or banner for the state of Nebraska. After the bill was signed by the governor on March 28, 1925, Nebraska had a state flag with the following description: "There is hereby designated a banner for the State of Nebraska which shall consist of reproduction of the great seal of the state, charged on the center in gold and silver on a field of national blue."
The bill also states that no part of the state flag is to be used in a business advertisement or trademark. Insulting the flag is forbidden, and penalties for violation of the bill's provisions are named. As passed, the bill appropriated $100 to the secretary of state to reproduce and publish the banner. After this, representation of the flag could be used and sold by individuals, partnerships, voluntary associations and corporations. State law requires that the flag be displayed on or near the state capitol, the governor's mansion, all courthouses, city or village halls, schoolhouses and other public administration buildings under or to the left of the United States' flag.
The state flag was first displayed at a 1926 New Year's Day reception attended by more than 4,000 people at the new state capitol. The original flag is displayed in the secretary of state's office in the capitol.
The adoption of the state flag was promoted by many different groups and individuals, including Mrs. B. C. Miller of Crete. A complete historical scrapbook about the flag, compiled by Miller, is on microfilm at the Nebraska State Historical Society and available for public use.