We know Nebraska’s got talent. Let’s keep it here!
Nebraska is known for our good life and great opportunities. Yet each year, we see too many of our bright and talented young people leave to begin their careers elsewhere, thinking they are moving to greener pastures. In fact, current migration trends show that Nebraska loses at least as many of our 25-and-older college grads as we attract — resulting in a brain drain of more than 1,500 people a year.
The Opportunity Nebraska Initiative is about engaging our business community to invest early in retaining our talented young Nebraskans by offering internships, apprenticeships and other career-related work experiences. We need your help to introduce young people to the abundance of opportunities our state has to offer — including rewarding careers and vibrant communities.
We need businesses to fight for our young people, and make it loud and clear that they are wanted and needed here!
Make a pledge to invest in Nebraska's talent.
We need champions who are willing to step up, take action and play a part in developing and retaining Nebraska’s young talent. Is your business willing to make a commitment? Express your support by pledging to promote internships, apprenticeships and other career-related work experiences in 2021 and beyond. Use the form below to tell us about your plans!
That said, we know 2020 has impacted business in ways we’re all still sorting out. If circumstances do allow you to grow the number of internships and/or apprenticeships you can offer in 2021 — great, please share that intent with us! But if taking on interns or apprentices is unrealistic right now, not to worry — you can still support the cause! Consider pledging to invest in talent development and retention by offering other opportunities, like short-term projects, mentoring experiences, business tours, job shadows, career simulations — the sky is the limit. We can all play a role in engaging Nebraska’s bright young talent.
Seeking resources to help your business create internships, apprenticeships or other work experiences? Check out the useful links below.
- Intern Nebraska (InternNE) – Provides grants to businesses seeking to create internships, as well as a job board to post available opportunities.
- Nebraska Engineering, Science and Technology Internship Program (NESTIP) – Offers cost-sharing for project-based paid internships in STEM.
- Nebraska College Internship Best Practices and Handbooks:
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln – Internship Toolkit for Employers
- Creighton University (Omaha) – Starting and Maintaining a Quality Internship Program – Internship Handbook for Employers
- University of Nebraska-Omaha – Internship Program Best Practices
- National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) – Provides resources for employers, colleges and students regarding a variety of career development and talent acquisition topics.
- Handshake Best Practices – Handshake is the talent recruitment/job board used by several Nebraska colleges.
- Nebraska Department of Labor (NDOL) NEworks – Provides employer resources and a free statewide job board.
- To access a list of training providers and contact information, as well as other resources, click “Additional Services” under “Employers,” then “More Information for Employers.”