Nebraska Small Business Innovation Research / Small Business Tech Transfer
(SBIR/STTR) Grant Program
The Nebraska Small Business Innovation Research / Small Business Technology Transfer Initiative (SBIR/STTR) is a matching grant that provides financial assistance to Nebraska businesses that have received a Federal SBIR or STTR grant.
How It Works
The Nebraska SBIR/STTR Initiative provides funding during two phases of the Federal SBIR/STTR process. In Phase 0, funds are available to assist Nebraska small businesses during the federal application process. In phases 1 and 2, matching grants from the Nebraska Initiative are available for successful federal applications to support research and commercialization.
Are You Eligible?
To apply for grants under the Nebraska SBIR/STTR you must meet the necessary qualification to apply for federal SBIR/STTR funds. Additionally, the Nebraska initiative requires you are a for-profit small business that conducts at least 51% of the activities proposed under the federal application in the State of Nebraska.
Available Funds & Grant Limits
- DED may award up to $4 million per year in the SBIR/STTR program. DED reserves the right to award less than $4 million a year subject to demand, department budget, and available funds.
- Phase 0 grants can reimburse for up to $5,000 per project for costs incurred in preparing a federal Phase 1 proposal.
- Phase 1 and 2 grants will match federal SBIR/STTR awards up to $100,000 or 65% of the federal grant, whichever is less.
- DED will not award funding to a qualifying business for more than one project every two years.
Evaluated criteria for applications under the Nebraska initiative include, but not are limited to:
- Scientific and technical merit and feasibility of the proposal.
- Qualification of the Principal Investigation, team, and consultants.
- Potential for successful commercialization or federal contract of the new product or process.
Applications are accepted on a fiscal year basis from July 1st through June 30th or until funds are exhausted.
For additional information on the Nebraska SBIR/STTR initiative review the current guidelines.
SBIR/STTR Phase 0
SBIR/STTR Phase I
SBIR/STTR Phase II
Need help with SBIR/STTR Grants?
Business Innovation Manager