Chief Standing Bear Program
The Chief Standing Bear Program will award grants not to exceed five million dollars for the purpose of producing a film based on Chief Standing Bear’s life. The film will share the notable story of Chief Standing Bear who persuaded a federal judge to recognize Native Americans as persons – establishing the right to sue for their freedom. Chief Standing Bear was one of the nation’s earliest civil rights heroes.
The Chief Standing Bear Program has the following objectives:
- Support investments that help Nebraska economies located within qualified census tracts of a city of the metropolitan class to address the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Encourage tourism among national and international visitors to areas highlighted in the film and based on Chief Standing Bear’s story.
What Can the Grants Be Used for?
The funds from the Chief Standing Bear Grant must be used for the sole purpose of producing a film based on Chief Standing Bear’s Life. Additionally, grant funds can only cover filming and eligible expenses incurred in the State of Nebraska within qualified census tracts located within the boundaries of a city of the metropolitan class. Moreover, at least 51 percent of the total principal photography days must be filmed in qualified census tracts located within the boundaries of a city of the metropolitan class in the state of Nebraska.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Any public or private entity with an already completed screenplay focusing on Chief Standing Bear, as well as a finalized work plan and an itemized budget.
Qualified Census Tract – A qualified census tract means a qualified census tract as defined in 26 U.S.C. 42(d)(5)(B)(ii)(I), as such section existed on January 1, 2022.
Chief Standing Bear Program
Anticipated Award Date: November 2022
Period of Performance: Funds must be expended before December 31, 2026.
Award Amount: Not to exceed $5,000,000. While there is no formal match requirement, preference will be given to Applicants who demonstrate a cash match to be matched with grants from the Chief Standing Bear Program.
Grant Management Resources
This page will provide technical assistance on using AmpliFund to apply for and manage grants awarded by DED.
Stay up to date on the latest news.
Subscribe to the Chief Standing Bear Film Program email lists here.
Press Releases & Announcements
- Chief Standing Bear Film Program Application Opens Friday, September 30, 2022
- The Nebraska Department of Economic Development Chief Standing Bear Film Application Re-Opens Monday, November 7, 2022, at 9:00 a.m.
- Nebraska Department of Economic Development Awards $5 Million for Chief Standing Bear Film Program
Economic Recovery Program Manager
531-893-1836 | Lydia.Lassen@nebraska.gov